How to run Tuesday Night Testing
"How about we do something on a Tuesday night? Nobody goes out on a Tuesday night. We could call it Tuesday Night Testing? Or TNT for short!".
Little did I know that the next day I would take my slightly flippant idea seriously.
The first experiment was a success! We inspired each other and shared tonnes of learnings.
I believe Tuesday Night Testing is simple and super effective. Anyone can run it!
Here are my thoughts on how you can run your own Tuesday Night Testing.
What is Tuesday Night Testing?
Lean Coffee on a Tuesday. At 8pm. With up to eight people on a video call.
Any topic related to Testing goes!
Why run it?
I believe Tuesday Night Testing provides a brilliant opportunity to:
- Experiment with an exciting way for people to connect over testing
- Create an agenda-less, friendly and inclusive discussion
- Learn from and inspire each other without the need for co-location
- Support people who aren't keen on early morning Lean Coffee
Before the night
- Use Doodle or Eventbrite to schedule a session for 8pm on a Tuesday
- Establish a preferred language that everyone feels comfortable to converse in
- Grab an Appear.in room
- Create a copy of A simple guide to Tuesday Night Testing
- Update the guide with the date and Appear.in room link
- Share the guide with attendees
During the session
- Using the shared guide, capture topics in 3 minutes
- Vote for 3 topics — use a 3, 2 and 1
- Total up the points and reorder
- Start an 8-minute timer for the first topic
- At the end of the 8 minutes: thumbs up to continue for a further 4 minutes, or thumbs down to move on to the next topic (majority thumbs wins)
- Keep going, capture notes, stop at 9pm
Ideas to enhance Tuesday Night Testing
- Live tweet your discussion with #TuesdayNightTesting
- Share your experience and learnings
- Create a blog post and inspire others with your discoveries
- Experiment with different numbers of votes and timings
- Read the useful description of Lean Coffee
- Try Lean Coffee Table, an online tool for running Lean Coffee
- Use headphones to avoid audio feedback
Get stuck in
Wanna run your own Tuesday Night Testing but feel a little unsure? Are you interested in attending my next session? Get in touch!
Over to you
I'd love to hear your views. What thoughts do you have about Tuesday Night Testing? Have you attended one? Have you run one? How was it?
Main image credit: Thank you Andrew Fraser